Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fuel Consumption Calculation


It has been some time since I shared on my car fuel consumption performance. I have device a new method of computing the fuel consumption. What I do now is to pump a fix value each time, in this case, I always pump 26.04 liter. This value is based on RM50 @ RM1.92/Liter. For each of the fueling instances on the x-axis, I pump 26.04 liter and drive the car till it’s empty, which is till the light comes up and the indicator go to the lowest, most of the time hitting E and below. Then I pump 26.04 liter again. I find that by doing this, the fuel consumption are pretty stable at the average of 14.5km/liter and a Standard Deviation of 0.59. My stock tires which are Goodyear RCT are going bald and I will be changing them soon. Currently I am eyeing on Continental Contact 2 or Michelin Preceda 2. The Tires manufacturer always claim that their tires safe fuel, etc.. well, I will be putting them to the test. I will compare the fuel consumption before and after the tire change. Since I will be changing all 4 tires at one go, it would be a good estimate to see if what the manufacturers claim are valid. Oh, by the way, instance 2 and 3 was Caltex Techron and the rest were Shell Super.

Other way to calculate fuel consumption:-
I used a different way to calculate though.

1) Pump full.
2) Use as much as I want while making sure I keep track of the kilometres.
3) Pump full again. The amount of money used divided with the kilometres covered.
My Corolla in city-driving mode cost me close to 17 sen per km, while in highway mode cost me about 14.75 sen per km.

No comments: